Why do you need a consultant for your business?
While business owners typically have a broad range of skills, with perhaps some specialties; changes within the business, in the broader economic climate, or other unforeseen circumstances, can create a need that can’t be met with the existing skills within the business. When that occurs, employing a specialist consultant can provide the skills necessary to deal with the situation as well as an objective viewpoint that can help to effectively focus the team.
What does a consultant do?
A business consultant is simply an outside expert you hire to solve an internal business problem. A good consultant is a great source of specialised knowledge. A great consultant brings knowledge, skills, experience, and process to improve the client’s condition. Unlike in-house employees, consultants have independent schedules, may have multiple clients, and are hired on a contract/project basis.
What could a consultant do for you?
- Provide information
- Solve problems / issues / challenges
- Realise latent opportunities
- Diagnose, and redefine problems / issues / challenges & opportunities
- Build consensus and commitment around corrective action
- Facilitate client learning
- Permanently improve organisational effectiveness.
When should you engage a consultant?
You should consider the services of a consultant when you need:
- Temporary assistance
- Objective review
- Third-party request for problem / opportunity identification & resolution / realisation
- Surviving a crisis
- Initiating change
- Obtaining funding
- Selecting key personnel
- In-house education
- Conflict resolution
- Executive assistance
- Government regulatory assistance
- Socio-economic and political change.
There are many ways for you to work with consultants as your small business evolves. Most important, perhaps, is that these resources can give you the valuable time needed to focus on what you do best: development of your small business and being an expert at whatever it is that led you to launch your own company in the first place.
Contact me for more information about my full range of consulting services.